[3830] ARRL Sep VHF W6RCL/R Rover QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF W6RCL/R Rover QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:22:52 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  16     15  Total Score = 240

Club: Hollywood Hills QRP Contest Club

Comments:

First time ROVER so my scoring skills aren't great---so not sure about the final
claimed score.

But it was FUN.  WA6ITF agreed to carpool on Saturday to the ARRL SW Division
Convention...
in Riverside.  A check with http://www.mapquest.com/ identified the grid squares
en route.

So with Bill behind the wheel, I had a chance to be a 1st ever ROVER.  Nothing
elaborate mind you --
just 5w from an FT-817 using 1/4 wave vertical magmounts for 6m and 2m and the
2m vertical
doubling as a 3/4 wave on 432!  I managed to work W6ZM in DM12 from DM14 and
from DM04 --
which meant all the heavy lifting was done on his end.  The FREEWAY is not an
easy place to make
contacts, when 1) the road is below ground level, or 2) there is a 12-foot high
sound wall on
either side!  Vertical antennas are also no way to enter a contest like this --
where everyone
else is horizontally polarized.

Next time, halo's, or squalo's or something different!  And WA6ITF says there
WILL BE a next time
because it was looking like I was having too much fun!  And next time he wants
me to drive....

Thanks to everyone who pulled my mobile/rover signal out of the noise.

73 de alan

PS --  ROVER QRP in this contest really is for masochists ---- 100w would be
better!