[3830] CQ WW RTTY AA4LR SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY AA4LR SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:51:59 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 8

   80:    0    0                0     0
   40:   45   82               31     8
   20:   76  163               43    16
   15:   34   73               24    14
   10:    6   16                5     5
Total:  161  334       0      103    43  Total Score = 48,764

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Note that N1MM doesn't separate States and Provinces from DX countries.

Antennas:
1/4 wave 40m sloper @ 12m (40, 20, 15, 10m)
Cushcraft A3S w/ A743 @ 13m (40,20, 15m) fixed north - see comments

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100 running 20-35 watts
Ameritron AL-80A running 300-600 watts - see comments
CocoaModem v1.15, on 12" AL PowerBook 1 GHz
N1MM logging software

Comments:

This contest didn't quite go the way I planned. Last week, I had taken down the
A3S driven element to add the A743 40m kit. Climbed up the tower late Friday,
just before the contest started, but I ran out of hands trying to clamp the DE
back on. Too sore to climb Saturday.

So, I started the contest by fooling around on 40m, using the sloper. On 40m, I
could run the amp. On 20 through 10m, had to fall back to about 20-35 watts
through the tuner. I did manage to get the amp working on 15m to punch through
the pileup to PZ5RA.

Only got to work an hour here an there. Finally made the climb Sunday afternoon
and got the A3S w/ A743 DE back on. The catenary rope needs to be adjusted,
because the DE is a little droopy, but it worked well enough to finish out the
last two hours of the contest. And, I could run the amp.

Working most of the contest with just the sloper was an exercise in frustration.
CocoaModem is really amazing software, it was astounding how well I could copy
some of the weak signals. I soon figured out, though, that many of those guys
could not copy me.

CocoaModem doesn't support CQWW, so I used N1MM to log the contacts. This made
for some interesting interplay between the two computers.

One frustration with CocoaModem is that it responds to the Esc key very oddly.
Sometimes I'd hit the wrong button and reflexively press Esc. (The proper
keystroke is Command-X) This causes the main window to close, and there's no way
to re-open it without closing the application. Caused some confusion once or
twice.

Chen did give me the sources, so I can't complain. I ought to just go fix it....