[3830] CQWW SSB W0AH SOSB/20 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W0AH SOSB/20 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:11:46 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W0AH
Operator(s): W0AH
Station: W0AH

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH: Colorado
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  620    34      119
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

This was a lot of fun and possibly my last CQWW from this QTH because we are
selling the house and moving to upstate SC sometime fairly soon.  I'll be there
in a small RV with a Hytower for the CQWW CW. Thought 20M conditions were good,
especially Saturday night and Sunday.  Made 11 contacts on lower bands (not
included above) after 20 closed Friday evening, hoping to work Africa and Asia
on 160M.  No luck with that.  Each year I try to operate several contests pretty
seriously, usually one of the SS, one of the WW, and the ARRL 160M. As an old
(just turned 65)competitive, goal-oriented marathon runner, I've learned to
focus pretty well even as my short term memory and contesting skills decline.
For these serius contest efforts, I post past years top 5 results and the all
time record next to my computer. This helps to motivate me when the going gets
tough!  The all time 20M SO LP record was by K1VUT in 1993.  K1VUT's 1993 score-
         255,000  638  30  112
Late Suday morning, I thought I might have a chance at bettering that record,
but Sunday afternoon was awful.  I missed about two hours due to S9 snow static
and lightning.  My log shows two half hours off when I just couldn't hear
anything!  Even Sunday morning, when conditions to Europe were very good, I had
no luck running Europe.  Nada.  Not one station from Europe replied to my CQs
during about six 5 minute tries, but had many replies from USA!  It was great to
hear the Grand Mesa gang and my neighbor KA0CT operating this contest!
 Rig-  JST-245 with W2IHY audio keyer
Antenna- 3 el wide spaced monobander at 92'  (about 200' HAAT)
CU in the SS CW next weekend from this QTH.  I'll be running QRP.
Doug W0AH