[3830] SS CW VO1HE Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1he@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] SS CW VO1HE Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 05:45:48 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VO1HE
Operator(s): VO1HE
Station: VO1HE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: St. John's
Operating Time (hrs): 15

------------
  160:    0
   80:   17
   40:   27
   20:  107
   15:   41
   10:    0
------------

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: FT-920 100W
Ant: TA-33M and B&W 1.8-30 Dipole
S/W: N1MM 5.10.13

Spent the contest in S&P mode, looking for mults and giving out NL to those who
heard me. Low bands were pretty good. 40 started out OK and got a few Qs before
hitting the hay. Got up early with anticipation and found the bands DEAD. In the
2 hours I was on, I heard and worked 4 stations. I decided to catch more
shut-eye and felt better for it :)

Got back on the air around 10AM local time and the bands were fair. Heard a good
few mults and managed to get them. Ended up missing 6, ND, NNY, PAC, AK, BC and
NWT. Of those I only heard BC and NWT but were not really strong. Was calling a
BC station late in the contest when another station decided to move in less than
1 kc away to start the contest. Ended up driving the BC station away. Oh well.

My only pet peeve about the contest is the discrepancy of US callsigns in
accordance to where the stations are located. I worked a string of N2 stations
in California and Texas and worked several W6s in VA or MDC. In a contest that
is based upon locations it would be nice to see stations with the appropriate
callsign or signing portable. I'm sure the stations looking for NL for the sweep
would be quite perturbed if they worked me and I gave them ON as my section. I
can understand operators who travel for work but when they move and set up a
permanent station, it would be nice if they got a local callsign. Just an
opinion :)

Anyway, not a bad showing I guess. I hope to get the sweep in the SSB edition
but won't hold my breath. Bands never opened up. 10 was no good and 15 was not
as good as it could have been. Better luck in a couple weeks.

Thanks to all who heard and worked me and hope to hear you all in the phone test
on the 19th.

73 de Paul VO1HE