[3830] SS CW K9GY(@K4AF) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, eric.p.hall@us.army.mil
Subject: [3830] SS CW K9GY(@K4AF) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 05:51:10 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K9GY
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K4AF

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Pentagon
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  38
   20:   8
   15:  26
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

FT-817, Dipole running E-W

Got to the stn about 10am local Sunday to find no A/C power. So decided that the
battery for the laptop and 817 would last for a little while... A little later I
heard someone down the hallway. I was happy to see it was a maint man! Asked
whether he was there to look into the A/C power outage. Then was informed it was
a "planned" outage until 1800 local! Uh oh! I had left the extra batteries for
the 817 at home, rats! So the computer used about 50% of it's battery in about
1-1/2 hrs. By that time the 817 was down to 2 watts out. So decided to drop the
laptop off at the work location to charge while I went to the gym to sit in the
whirlpool and take a shower. Got back to the stn around 1400 local to find the
power back on...Yahoo! Slugged it out in the afternoon and early evening. Hats
off to all QRPers that do this contest without directional antennas!
Unfortunately the rate had been better in the morning (it was fun then).
Thought about going back to using the amp and the TS-940 with the K4AF call but
decided I had run around enough this weekend and went home to take it easy.

Monday morning I found out I won an FT-857D through eBay! Cool! Would of been
nice to have the extra power from that, hah!

CQ CONTEST!

73, Eric