[3830] SS CW WA8REI Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, KLOUKS@USOL.COM
Subject: [3830] SS CW WA8REI Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:05:03 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WA8REI
Operator(s): WA8REI
Station: WA8REI

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Freeland  MI
Operating Time (hrs): 23

------------
  160:    0
   80:   73
   40:  184
   20:   92
   15:   41
   10:    3
------------

Club:

Comments:

FT-817 5 watts out.  80% of QSOS: Hustler 4BTV vertical gnd mtd on MFJ 2' x 2'
stainless base w/ 5 radials abt 30' long each.  20% of QSOs: 80 m. dipole up
avg. 30'.  Logged on a Dell Latitude LM that I bought at Dayton for $100 a
couple years ago, using N3FJP software.

More fun than a Flyin' Pig at a slop trough full of cold watermelon rinds on a
hot summer's day!  Hi Hi.

BUT, BUT, BUT.....
winds of over 60 mph, hail, t-storms Sunday 1300-1600 Z toppled the vertical
twice!  The same line of storms resulted in the tornado in IN/KY.  I'll bet
some contesters got knocked off the air, antennas destroyed, etc. caused by the
huge cold front that swept down from VE land.  Was RAC mad at ARRL or what?
I didn't loose power, but was prepared to use a battery and inverter to power
the laptop and batteries to power the rig....the show would have gone on, come
brimstone or high water!

40 was the place to be...good to see folks using the top part of the band as
high as 7.090.  10 meters opened up which was a treat, and 15 was in GREAT shape
Sunday morning/afternoon.

This is really a fun contest by working each stn only once.  Interesting to see
who is working the various bands throughout the contest.  I noted that many of
the ops have been around since the days when you had to know your CW when you
got your ham ticket!  Lots of CKs in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and some
in the 40's and even 30's! The exchange is a great way to keep your CW skills
honed, especially if you're not "virtual."

A huge TNX to all who worked me.  A big congrats to the QRPers who get
PIGtificates in the contest!  Oink-oink!  Great to work many FDIM/QRP-ARCI
members, buddy Dick, W0NTA out in CO, and also Scott, N3FJP whose software I
used for the contest.

My main interest in ham radio:  QRP field operating from anywhere but home!

Other interests: piano, keyboard, organ, snowmobiling, ATVing, hiking,
backpacking, or on the road in my Winnebago Rialta.  Look for me on the QRP
watering holes at any CW speed up to about 35 wpm.

73, 72, and oink-oinks all!