[3830] SS CW W6NL(N6TV) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6tv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW W6NL(N6TV) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:03:00 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W6NL
Operator(s): N6TV
Station: W6NL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SCV
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  130
   40:  439
   20:  370
   15:  385
   10:    9
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I was planning to operate from home, but PG&E could not fix their substation
arcing problem in time, so at the last minute I decided to take W6NL up on his
generous offer to let me have the chair.  It was a good decision!  His station
hears much better than mine, even without the extra QRNN.  Thanks Dave.

I think this may end up being my first time in SOHP Top Ten box after 30 years
of serious attempts, on and off.  Of course many of the usual Top Ten finishers
like N5KO, N6MJ, N6TR, K6LL, KR6X, N2NL and others (sadly including SK W4AN)
entered other categories this year, improving my chances a great deal.

I started on 15m with a great 120 hour, but the rate dropped off quickly from
there.

40m was really rough the first evening.  Signals were not loud, and there were
lots of static crashes making for very rough copy.

Many stations seemed to call off frequency, especially QRP stations.  Is it an
RIT problem?  Also, how come so few operators of all classes seem to understand
what "PRE?" means when you need a fill on the PRECEDENCE (A, B, U, M, S)?

Again, a big THANK YOU to station hosts W6NL and K6BL.  It sure is a pleasure to
operate from up there looking down at my house in the valley below.  W6NL is a
beautifully engineered station, inside and out.

Rig: Kenwood TS-950 (2), Alpha 87A (2)
7 el 10, 6 el 15, 5 el 20, 2 el 40 (Moxon), 80m inv. V with apex at 130'
CT for DOS Version 10.02

73,
Bob, N6TV