[3830] SS CW K1VA(@AJ6L) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K1VA(@AJ6L) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 06:40:52 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K1VA
Operator(s): K1VA
Station: AJ6L

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:   83
   40:  392
   20:  245
   15:  221
   10:   11
------------

Club:

Comments:

Rig: FT1000D / TRLog

Antennas: 80/40 Inverted Vees at 80 ft.
          TH7DX at 85 ft.

First SS from West Coast in years. Arrived in NV last summer & hooked up with
my
best pal from high school, Tom/AJ6L. Thanks to Tom & Rita for their usual FB
hospitality. We spent a number opf hours this past summer in AZ heat getting
6-band capability -- especially getting the TH7 up on the 85 ft. tower.

Still got antennas/tower on ground I brought from NH -- 22 elements and 15
tower sections. Hopefully that will be up by next year's contest.

Had a goal of 1000/78. Despite my last four-hour sprint, fell slightly short.
But was happy to get my first-ever sweep. When Jay answered my CQ Saturday
evening on 7075, I had a feeling this just might be the year!

Can echo previous reports of band conditions. Ten was open to East Coast for
about two hours on Sunday afternoon -- too bad activity was poor, especially
new blood. Eighty was its usual disappointment. Forty recovered some @ about
07:00Z but the damage was done. 20/15 were better on Sunday.

Seems that two things were up this year -- Frequency Hijackers and less
activity
from new blood. Sunday afternoon gets even more boring.

Best signal v. distance award -- K5ZD (WMa). On 20 mtrs. Sunday afternoon he
was peaking 30/9 and the dominant signal on the band. Closer in K0RF and
N2IC were louder than loud on 40 mtrs.

Always nice to work K4OGG in this November contest. Ever since that article
in QST many years ago by L. Larson Rapp, ex-W1OU, "The Hidden Meaning of
Unusual Calls", it was pointed out that in Gaulic Pig Latin, K4OGG translates
Clean Sweep in SS test. :-)

Thanks for all the Q's and especially the fills.

73, Bob / K1VA (soon to be K7UUJ)