[3830] CQWW CW VO1HE SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1he@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VO1HE SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:02:57 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VO1HE
Operator(s): VO1HE
Station: VO1HE

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: St. John's, NL
Operating Time (hrs): 20.67

  160:   31     5       14
   80:   30    10       13
   40:   87    14       39
   20:  182    19       81
   15:  100    18       64
   10:    8     5        7
------------------------------

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

Probably my best CW effort ever. All S&P but there were lots of stations on the
bands to work.

The addition of 160 was a nice touch. Using a KI6O half sloper and an untuned
receiving loop that worked fairly well considering my overall operating
location.

I have a feeling that I'm going to lose a few Qs from the log because of busted
calls. Many stations replied to a combination of 4O1HE, V(zero)1HE, UO1HE,
VO1SE, VO1HI or variances thereof. One station worked me as VO1EH. Just a
product of conditions I guess.

The same old bug about stations not identifying for long periods came up again
but I tried to limit the time I took listening for a call to work them. As I ran
assisted, quite often I knew the call beforehand but it's always nice to confirm
it before calling.

One high point was hearing, but not working, ZL6QH on 40M. I don't think I've
ever heard one on that band before. I got one worked on 80 but not on 40. I was
just too light to work him but he was strong enough with me to hear with no
problem at all.

15M wasn't up to snuff on the first day with a lot of QSB. Today it was a lot
better and gave me a bunch of new mults. 10 was pretty well non-existent except
for a short period where I worked a few South American and African stations.

Heard a few VOs on the bands either calling or pouncing. VO1SA, VO1FU, VO1HP,
VO1MP, VO1TA (with his new TS-850) and VO1AU were all on. There could have been
others but I didn't hear them.

Anyway, had a blast and got to work some new band countries. Always nice. ARRL
160 CW is next weekend so I may give that a go.

Thanks to all who heard me. CU next contest.

73 -- Paul VO1HE