[3830] CQWW CW N5DO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N5DO SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:08:33 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:   24     9       10
   80:  116    17       56
   40:  257    33       89
   20:  339    30       96
   15:  218    25       77
   10:   44    11       21
------------------------------
Total:  998   125      349  Total Score = 1,269,372

Club:

Comments:

I set some goals before the contest, which I thought were attainable:  1270
contacts, 125 zones, 350 countries.  I ended up very close, except for the
contacts -- I need to have the confidence to run more.  Most of the time when I
tried to run I had limited success, however after the contest I saw that I was
spotted on the cluster 3 times, so I likely could have stuck with it more.  On
the country goal I really did have 350 but I had an old country file and it did
not recognize 4U60UN as a country.  But that is offset by my working FR0GZ who
called me on 15M.  Somehow I don't think that is a real station.

I usually operate low power, but three weeks ago I bought an AL-82.  I was
impressed with it, and found the ease of working people with it to be addicting.
 I may operate a greater portion of my contest ventures with HP now (but I think
I will still stick with LP for Sprints).

In many contests there are one or more magic moments which make it all
worthwhile.  In this contest it was the long path opening on 40M Sunday morning.
 In one 20 minute stretch I worked the following new multipliers (some were
double mults), all long path: SM0P, EW7LO, A61AR, 9N7JO, EY7AF, and ES5ML.
Shortly after that I worked R1ANT short path for another double mult.  The 9N7JO
was particularly exciting -- I couldn't believe how loud Nepal was on 40M!  I
was also impressed with the manners of the other ops -- I was calling 9N7JO
along with another 5 station (sorry, I don't remember who) and the 9N7 came back
to N5IO.  I thought this will be quick work to get my call straight -- but it
was an excruciating 2 or 3 minutes before he got it (I hope!).  Through all that
the other station was patiently standing by -- he didn't try to jump in and send
his call, but I could feel him silently willing the 9N7 to get my call correct
so he could jump in and work him.  Talk about ESP!

All-in-all another wonderful way to spend the weekend -- and I never once
thought about work!