[3830] CQWW CW VE3DZ SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3dz@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE3DZ SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:55:19 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3DZ
Operator(s): VE3DZ
Station: VE3DZ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Toronto
Operating Time (hrs): 41
Radios: SO2R

  160:  184     9       14
   80:  364    17       70
   40:  541    28       87
   20:  751    28      114
   15:  183    21       69
   10:   43     9       21
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Unfortunately couldn't go to Zone 2 this time because I had to be present at a
very serious exam on Monday afternoon here in Toronto.
In addition to usual work load, family problems and studying I had to fix a 40 m
Delta loop broken by falling tree in my backyard (after huge gusty wind a week
before)  and repair MA5B minibeam, which I usually use for the 2nd radio.  And
yes, had to cut that old tree with the chain saw a bit earlier.
Anyway, ended up operating in this contest from my modest station which
performed pretty well probably because my QTH is very close (walking distance)
to the shore of lake Ontario. I am especially pleased with the performance of
TH6DXX on 20 meters and restored vertical Delta Loop for 40 m. Though I missed
tons of multipliers I had a feeling of ?being heard? on these bands. Never
managed to produce any kind of run on 15 and 10, so 99 % of QSOs on these and
were S&P. Tried to move everything I needed from band to band as usual, so
thanks a lot to those who agreed to move for me. That increased my score a
lot.
It was so unusual to hear a bunch of DX stations on 40 in the early afternoon,
and then at night the band was almost empty. My small city lot location becomes
more and more noisy? One next door neighbor has 5 TVs and 4 networked computers
in his house, the other one has washing machine which produces huge S9+ QRM
every 16-18 kHz on 20 m? Just tired of all that @#$&, but definitely have to do
something about it, otherwise soon it will be completely impossible to copy weak
signals at all?
Slept about 2 hours on the first night and a bit over 4 hours on the 2nd
night.
Looks like there was no Zone 2 in the contest at all this year. Even Jeff VY2ZM
missed it on 160?
So maybe next year I?ll go there again.
73, VE3DZ

Equipment used: FT1000MP Mark V, FT1000MP, IC-746, DX Doubler for SO2R, TH6DXX @
60', MA5B @ 40', Vertical Delta for 40 M with apex at 50', dipoles for 40 and
80, half sloper for 160 and AP8A all band vertical. And yes, CT by K1EA - the
best contest software IMO(very simple and lets you actually operate a contest
without thinking what button to push or where to click).