[3830] CQWW CW N4KG SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4KG@AOL.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N4KG SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:40:58 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 35

  160:   42    11       22
   80:  151    21       76
   40:  207    28       98
   20:  297    31      104
   15:  138    21       66
   10:   36    11       23
------------------------------
Total:  871   123      389  Total Score = 1,206,389

Club:

Comments:

This was my BEST EVER 80M multiplier (21 Zone 76 Cty) as a Single Op All Band
Entry, and it was done using only 100 Watts Output along with the help of some
130 ft (40m). high dipoles.  There were only a few exciting multipliers (KH2,
OJ0, ZB, ZD8, 6W)) and a few conspicuous absenses (GJ2A, TI, TZ5A, VK).  The
bulk of my 80M multipliers were simply due to a solid presence of activity from
NA, SA, and Europe.   Surely this year will be remembered as one of the All Time
Bests for 80M conditions!

Conditions on 160M were less than spectacular here in the SE USA.  A few
Europeans were worked (CU, DL, G, ON) but most were pretty weak.  With only
100W, they were not worth waiting in line for after all of the High Power
callers.

40 Meters was a mixed bag.  It was VERY GOOD as long as the MUF remained above 7
MHz but slowed down after 0300Z, giving rise to the European activity on 80M.
The European sunrise peak did occur but I suspect we were right on the ?edge?.
Decades ago, I noted roughly a 3 to 1 ratio between daytime MUF and nighttime
MUF.  It is interesting to compare the 15M morning openings to the 40M evening
openings.  When 15M is strong to Europe all morning, 40M is likely to be strong
to Europe all evening.  If 15M closes early in the morning, 40M is likely to
close early in the evening (typically 02 to 03Z).  When the MUF is REALLY Low,
the European Sunrise peak fails to materialize on 40M and it may be more
productive to catch some ZZZ?s.

20M was HOT !  What else can I say.  Sunday morning I worked 16 stations in 8
minutes doing S&P which made it hard to move on up to 15M.  By NOT going to 15M
before 1445 and 1500Z (Saturday and Sunday respectively), I missed several
common Eastern European Multipliers in Zone 15, 16, and 20).  RU1A was my only
Z16 and he was not strong.  Missed Zone 20.

As everyone else has already said,  ?WHERE WAS 10M??  TZ5A and ZD8A were the
only multipliers worked outside of NA / SA.  ZL6QH was heard 519 but could not
hear my 100W.

Single Operator Low Power (Packet) Assisted a.k.a. SOAB(A) LP is ?Challenging?
to say the least!  Following recent packet spots is a good way to become
paranoid.  It?s probably somewhat akin to walking into a street fight armed with
a stick while everyone else is holding 2X4?s.  Losing connection to DX Summit
for several hours Saturday / Sunday morning didn't help.  On the other hand, I
KNOW that I picked up several multipliers I would likely have missed without the
spotting network.  The most memorable assistance came in the last hour of the
contest.  I went to 40M at 2310Z and had a ?Roaring Twenties? experience,
working HZ1IK (Z21), 8Q7DV (Z22), 3V5A, A61AR (Z21), A45XR (Z21), MU0FAL, ER4DX,
5B/AJ2O (Z20), SV1RP (Z20) and a few others for 12 Q?s, 1 Zone, and 8 Countries
in 20 minutes.  I would like to say THANK YOU to Cushcraft for producing their
2L 40M beam.  IMHO, it is one of ham radio?s ?BEST BUYS? in terms of ?Bang for
the Buck?.  Unfortunately, I only made ONE more contact in the last 30 minutes,
trying to pick up some more multipliers on 80M at the end.

All in all, it was a FUN weekend, but this aging contester is finding it more
and more difficult to stay energized Saturday evenings and Sunday afternoons.
My sleep schedule included 90 minutes Saturday morning (1000 to 1130Z), a one
hour nap Saturday afternoon, 3 hours Sunday morning (0830 to 1130Z), and another
1 hour nap Sunday afternoon.  I?m think I?m ready for some multi-op activity!

de Tom N4KG

Radios:  FT990 (first 24 hours) Icon 746 PRO (second 24 hours)

160M  Inverted L, tree supported wire at 80 ft. + Elevated GP

80M   Dipole NE/SW ends at 130 ft
      Inverted Vee JA/SA at 140 ft

40M   Cushcraft 2L40 at 95 ft
      Dipole JA/SA at 90 ft

20M   Telrex 2L* at 75 ft (* director broke off 3L)
      TH7 at 40 ft

15M   Cushcraft 4L15 at 55 ft
      TH7 at 40 ft

10M   N4KG design using Wilson 5L10 at 60 ft and 30 ft fixed SE