[3830] CQWW CW 6Y7A M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 6Y7A M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:01:10 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 6Y7A
Operator(s): KN5H N3DXX
Station: 6Y7A

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Jamaica
Operating Time (hrs): 38

  160:  280    11       33
   80:  417    14       48
   40: 1464    20       83
   20: 1534    26       84
   15: 1541    22       83
   10:   98    10       15
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Our journey to 6Y5 began uneventful. The red-eye from Phoenix to MoBay was as
expected, long. Breezed through customs with antennas, radios and lots of junk.
Met N3DXX at exact same time in MoBay and he too had no problems with radio and
Alpha amp. Arrived at Villa an hour later. Great QTH perched 100 ft above the
water with clear view east to west. Started building dipoles and N3DXX/6Y5 was
on the air. Then the rain started. It rained for the next 3 days. The C3 yagi
went together well and was beautiful sitting up there on that 100 ft cliff. The
neighbors were not as impressed though but we ignored them and they finally quit
scowling at us. The lousy weather kept them indoors so our antenna was less
annoying I suppose. The contest went well with good rates on 15 thru 40. 80 and
160 had problems due to the proximity of the wire to the cliff. A few
after-hours excursions onto some neighbor's property helped a little with the
wire location but still we didnt feel loud on those bands. 10 meters was awful,
not even being able to break 100 QSOs. Tear down went fine with copious
quantities of Red Stripe beer. Two years ago we were able to Fed Ex a lot of
stuff back to the states for a reasonable price. We tried it again this year
with dismal results. FedEx wanted an itemized list of all contents, number of T
shirts, socks, underwear, snorkel gear, toothbrushes, radios, computers, pieces
of wire, cables, etc. Imagine itemizing a C3SS in a golf club carrier (just
saying C3SS wasn?t good enough, each piece of tubing needed to be listed). I
gave up on that notion except for the Alpha which made it back via FedEx, 87
pounds for $222. Way too much.
Of course all good vacation trips will eventually run into problems. My planned
layover in Atlanta was way too short resulting in a missed connection. We were
setup for a flight to Las Vegas and then bad weather hit Atlanta. We made it to
Vegas at 2am, missing the connection to Phoenix. The airline put us in a Vegas
'hotel' for 3 hours and at 6am we were almost home when the airport went dark
from a  power outage. The method by which an airplane is pushed back from the
gate had always seemed easy to me. However, when the airport is on emergency
power, that procedure is no longer valid. Seems the canopy that keeps you out of
the wx was stuck. We made it home after 27 hours, repeating over and over,
"never again". Thanks to all for the QSOs. Hope those that worked China, BY7A in
zone 8, get a QSL card. Pics at http://home.earthlink.net/~kn5h