[3830] ARRL 160 KB7Q Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KB7Q Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 13:26:30 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KB7Q
Operator(s): KB7Q
Station: KB7Q

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Montana
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 878  Sections = 78  Countries = 5  Total Score = 146,993

Club:

Comments:

I have access to a cabin on 20 acres in the mountains just north of Yellowstone
Park now. Of course getting there required chaining up all four wheels on the
truck, but being at 7,000' with a clear shot in all directions is worth the trek
and the outdoor plumbing!

I had put down 60 radials a few weeks back and previously hauled a tank of
helium up to fly a 1/4 wave vertical under a 5 foot balloon. Old man Murphy took
a run at me just as we launched the antenna - a snow squall ripped thru. I was
lucky to recover the balloon and put in in the hangar (shed) for a few hours. My
wife was a hero helping me rig a quick inverted "L" 30 minutes before the
contest started, she got a kick out of watching her middle-aged husband with no
life insurance climb a 50' pine tree to string a rope for the apex of the "L".

After the storm I was able to get the 1/4 wave up on the balloon and the real
fun began. I had one 6.75 hour run the first evening working 475 stations! I'm
starting to understand this "butt in the chair" thing!

Conditions were excellent and I could even hear pretty well off the vertical (no
power lines for miles and miles). Best DX was JH2FXK Sunday morning just before
sunrise.

After Christmas well go to the BLM desert lands and I'll operate the CQ 160
contest in shorts and sandals. The down jacket and pack boots will stay in
Montana!

Thank to all for their patience and persistance - I tried my very best to work
every QRP station I could dig out.

73,
Gene