[3830] CQWW CW DL3YM SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gissel@fh-ludwigshafen.de
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW DL3YM SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 03:16:27 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: DL3YM
Operator(s): DL3YM
Station: DL3YM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 47.5

  160:  241    12       56
   80:  716    18       78
   40: 1136    28      109
   20: 1069    29       83
   15:  422    31       95
   10:   23     7       14
------------------------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

All in all a fantastic weekend!!
Had problems this time during set-up: transceiver wouldn?t key properly and had
to be replaced by another. This one had a different filter combo (125 / 250 Hz
compared to 250 / 500 I use normally) and I was convinced this wouldn?t be a
good choice; it turned out that I didn?t miss the 500 Hz filter at all! Then I
couldn?t control the transceiver with my laptop. Don?t know what went wrong, but
the frequency readout was randomly altering, so decided to abandon this feature
and change bands manually. Badly missed the bandmap of win-test, however.
As always, I set the alarm to 45 mins before the contest. After a long shower I
was ready to roll 10 mins before take-off. Had decided to start running on 40
this time, but after finding a clear spot I realized the linear wasn?t working.
Panic! Moved to 80 and tuned ? everything all right. Back to 40, all working ok
now, but with less than 1 minute to go there was no running frequency to be
found, so I ended up S&P-ing at the start, as always.
Condx seemed ok over the weekend considering where we are in the sunspot cycle.
Somehow I had hoped for a miracle to happen on 10, but that was not to be.
Actually I think ten can?t get much worse now. However, this band is always good
for some surprises: there were several very loud SA stations including HC8N (who
was the only station worked on 6 bands besides EA8EW).
15 was strange. Juicy double mults available every time I combed the band, big
sigs from deep south east Asia and the big gun VKs / ZLs, but nothing doing
whenever I tried to run with the exception of Sunday afternoon when the band
opened big time to the US extending into zone 03. I was lucky to catch about 1
hour of that opening before moving to 20.
20 and 40 were fantastic. Had superb runs to the west on 20 both days and I was
very happy to have three zone 31 plus zone 01 call in on Sunday. Had my best 60
min rate here in the 1700 hour at 133.
40 was the band that helped me surpass 4 million points Sunday night 25 mins
before the end of the contest. The 2 ele shorty is almost bi-directional which
IMHO is a big plus for contesting: I had the beam pointing to the US but could
work a number of good DX coming in from the back of the beam (e.g. VK, JA,
HS).
80 was in great shape as was 160. I didn?t spend much time on 160 this year,
though, as I had figured from analyzing my old logs that the points / Q ratio
simply doesn?t justify running there too long. I concentrated on working the
easy mults on 160, rather spending more time on 80.
The last few hours of the contest were simply amazing: at 20:00 with a score of
roughly 3.5 million I realized I would only reach a score of 4 million if I had
a sustained run with DX or work many more mults. I opted for the first
alternative and started running on 40, working over 400 Qs in the next 3.5
hours, among which were 281 with W/VE. Tnx guys !
Had to quit 20 mins early as I started suffering from fatigue badly all of a
sudden. Besides that, it was 48 hours in the chair except for a few quick rushes
to the bathroom.
Thanks all for the Qs, special thanks to my family and Wolf for all the support.