[3830] ARRL 160 KD3GC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KD3GC Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 17:56:03 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KD3GC
Operator(s): KD3GC
Station: KD3GC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 3

Total:  QSOs = 38  Sections = 24  Countries = 0  Total Score = 1,824

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Believe it or not, but in 18 years of ham radio, this was the first time in the
ARRL 160 meter contest. I've never had 160 capabilities before. What a good
time!!!!! I would have liked to put more time in, but this time of year really
puts the Kabosh on your plans. Between Church functions and partys, it might be
a good idea to clone myself, so I can do both.

Only had a chance to put in a couple of hours the first night. Started out late
to begin with, and had trouble with the rig. I had to get the keying
straightened out. I am not a cw op, but I'm trying to get better. Once I was
able to get things straight, I had fun. A Drake T-4x & R-4A, 100 watts, and a
center fed Zepp cut for 80 meters. I was really surprised how well the antenna
played. I didn't think I would be able to work anyone, but was pleasantly
surprised to see how much I could work. Working a VE3 was the highlight of my
night. So now I have work to do to see how I can improve my station on 160.

Was able to work my friend AA4LR. He was running stations at a fairly good rate.
I was really taken back by the amount of signals on the band, it seemed pretty
crowded. Had fun, and will be back next year.

KD3GC