[3830] ARRL 10 VE3XD(@VE3SY) SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 VE3XD(@VE3SY) SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 14:51:58 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VE3XD
Operator(s): VE3XD
Station: VE3SY

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 14

   CW:  299    60
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  299    60  Total Score = 71,760

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Much better conditions than expected but quite challenging at times with the QSB
and QRN with signals frequently at a low level. Decent DX propagation but it was
interesting to compare mults with VE3SY sitting beside me operating SSB low
power. More mults seemed to be available in SSB than CW but the opposite was
true for sections. So it all balanced out.

Thanks to Paul VE3SY and Marg VE3RE for hosting the weekend and providing much
beyond the needed nourishment. Always a pleasure to visit the QTH.

This was the first time I used the MicroHAM USB interface for CW. I've used it
before for rig interfacing but not for sending CW. Whether it was the interface,
Windows XP or Writelog I was quite frustrated by the whole affair. Frequent
garbled CW meant repeats and I'm sure some confusion at the other end. During
the contest I spent some time searching the Writelog archives for an answer and
didn't find anything definitive. There was nothing on the MicroHAM site and it
seems all mention of the USB interface is gone. I really like these devices and
have used one a lot with Windows 98 and an FT-100 without any problems so I
expect something in XP is to blame. There were references to this problem on the
WL archives but MicroHAM (nor WL) does not publish any solutions on their site.
I believe this is an oversight as no doubt there is a solution to the problem.
Sorry about the rant but it was a constant irritation during the contest.

73, Don VE3XD