[3830] RAC Winter VA7ST SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VA7ST SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 17:22:39 -0800
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 11

  160:   47     0        3         0
   80:   45     0        7         0
   40:  131     0        9         0
   20:  154     0        8         0
   15:   47     0        5         0
   10:
    6:
    2:
Total:  424     0       32         0  Total Score = 70,464

Club:

Comments:

Had a good start Friday night, equalling or somewhat beating last year on 160,
80 and 40. Was interested to see how 20 would play on Saturday. For most of the
day, I thought participation must be a lot lower than last year, as VEs were a
bit scarce. VE6RAC and VE1RAC were the only RAC stations I heard, ever (VE6RAC
was everywhere with a great signal). Wonder if the missing RAC stations were all
on SSB the whole time?

Was short on mults till the final couple of hours, when I left a swamped 20M to
get settled in on 40M, which was just starting to open up here in B.C. Picked up
NL/NF and QC as a nice surprises for mults 31 and 32 -- 2 better than last year.

QSO count last year was 260. This year 424 -- maybe an indication that
participation was actually up... worked even more VEs than last year, in the
final analysis.

There were at least a few lids out this weekend. No matter where I moved, one
guy kept finding me on 20M and keying down about 70hz below me (probably thought
he had me zero beat, the idiot). Ruined many Qs, but I kept going knowing even a
twit like that won't waste too much of his insipid life QRMing.

Other than a few frequency arm-wrestling matches, in most of them I bet I'm the
only one who knew there was one, it was a fun contest across the board. At one
point, I got nudged out of position on 40M by a G station (yes, G). Suddenly, I
can hear EU on 40M loud enough to bother me. Go figure. I moved once I knew he
had sidled up next to me, to give all the guys a chance to work him.

Merry Christmas to all -- especially all who signed MX as a tail-end. I didn't
always get to the paddles fast enough to reply, but I was thinking MX right
back.

(Xmas tree was acquired during a hour-long break in the afternoon RAC action.
Selected a tree closest to the parking lot. Note for future reference: it was
quick as hell, but apparently they put the most expensive trees closest to the
parking lot. I almost had to leave a kid there as collateral.)