[3830] OK RTTY AA5AU SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa5au@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] OK RTTY AA5AU SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 06:58:51 -0800
                    OK DX RTTY Contest

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 18
Radios: SO2R

   80:   57   177       4         0
   40:  155   567      26         3
   20:  243   326      34         7
   15:   59    78      13         0
   10:    1     1       1         0
--------------------------------------
Total:  515  1149      78        10  Total Score = 101,112

Club:

Comments:

This was my first "serious" contest effort since Katrina.  I finished installing
all the new antennas this week.

Conditions were not very good, especially 15 meters.  There was only a short
opening to EU Saturday morning on 15.  My only 10 meter contact was N7GVV, who
happened to be my only 5-band QSO station.

It probably would have had more fun high power, but I wanted to simulate my low
power setup for the Roundup and I didn't want to blow anything up.  I really
struggled late in the contest due to the lack of new stations to find and the
contest got very boring.  My goal was 500 Q's, so was happy to get that but
would have liked more.

20 and 40 were my best bands.  It was difficult to tell how well the new
antennas performed.  The D40 worked very well on 40, but the biggest surprise
was that it was my best antenna on 15 too!  I knew the D40 worked on 15 before
the contest, but I didn't know it worked this well.  It certainly gives me more
options now.

The other surprise was how well the new A3S at 66 feet worked into EU on 20 in
the morning hours.  Usually it's difficult to work EU in my morning using low
power, but I had no problems with them hearing me this weekend.  That's a very
good thing because EU mults will be so important in the upcoming Roundup if 15
is bad again.

I probably won't change too much before the Roundup, but I will tweak a few
things.  It was great to be back in the contest chair again.  Early in the
contest on 40 and 80 was a lot of fun.  Thanks to everyone for the contacts.
I'm looking forward to the Roundup more than ever.  AA5AU IS BACK!!!

Station A (15/40 meters)
Icom IC-756 PRO III
WriteLog V10.55D with MMTTY plug-in
HAL DXP-38 in cloned Rttyrite window