[3830] TBDC W2ID Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC W2ID Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 01:12:48 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W2ID
Operator(s): W2ID
Station: W2ID

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ENY FN31
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 449  Total Score = 1,828

Club: Hudson Valley Contesters and DXers

Comments:

After a lifetime total of 3 weeks on 160m, I have to say, this is a heck of a
lot of FUN! I really loved the contest, loved the meaningful and challenging
exchange, and loved the challenge of the long distance qso's, especially while
wrestling with a steady S7 60hz buzz from the faulty pole transformer that is on
my property.  Central Hudson has been promising since November to fix it, but so
far no luck. I hear it from 160M thru 10M. Lovely!

Rig: FT-1000MP and Acom 2000A
Xmit: Inverted L
Rcv:  720' zig-zagging unterminated wire about 7' above ground.

Missed the first couple of hours as I was outside assembling my antenna, with
big thanks to W2XL for supplying me with a capacitor to feed my Inv-L. Also
missed some good operating time just before sunrise, because the 'ole body
insisted on a 1 hour nap. No more staying out all night for the 2 days leading
up to a contest!

Was very disappointed to seem my low score as compared to the QSO total. Now I
know to tune around more and look for DX rather than sit and call CQ. Also,
hopefully it will help to get rid of the noise, as I'm sure there were many
(such as LA5HE) who heard me and called, but whom I could not hear due to the
heavy QRN. My apologies!

A particularly comical moment was trying and trying (and trying) to work a
strong W1, who absolutely would NOT work me, because he thought I was W2IB,
which was a dupe for him. Even sending my suffix super slow did not work - he
told me "PSE GO AWAY"!  Now I know next year that I will have to work all my
stations before W2IB does, so he can deal with that problem instead of me!