[3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@ds.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 08:45:33 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EM89
Operating Time (hrs): 13.4

Total:  QSOs = 494  Total Score = 2,033

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I, too, found that conditions to Europe seemed to be very good from
2300-0100, then faded until around 0500.  However, I've always assumed
that this was the normal pattern, based on about 30 consecutive ARRL
160 tests.  I don't do much casual operating.

There were two mystery signals around 1200.  First, while CQing, I got
called by a station that had "VK" and "DX" in the call.  But, at the
time, the signal was very weak and I could not find the right antenna
on which to listen.  It was not until around 1300 when I heard VK6DXI
working N2IC (I hope I'm not mis-remembering which N2) that I realized
who "VK" and "DX" was.  Naturally, at 1300, VK6DXI was plainly
audible.  Oh well, what's 37 points?

The second mystery signal was "VV" and "7".  I'm presuming that was
VE7VV calling me, and again, I could not find the right antenna.  Now
that VE7VV is burned into my memory, I shouldn't have that problem
again.  Since he was QRP, that's another 28 points missed.  Oops.

While in contests its great to get into a top ten box, I'm really
competing with my self.  This year, I had more points that any
previous year, so I must declare success, even though I had fewer QSOs

How does one qualify for the "antenna less than 40 feet" plaque?  My
transmitting antenna is a 40 foot wire with a "T" top.  The "T" top is
about 180 feet long.  Since the antenna wire is taped to a piece of
rope strung between trees 500 feet apart, its a bit difficult to get
the center of the T aligned perfectly with the middle of the radial
system (60 radials before I mowed the area the last time).  So, the 40
foot wire slants about 15 degrees, which means the overall height is
somewhat less than 40 feet.  I'm crossing my fingers.

See everyone in the CQ 160.

Victor, K1LT