[3830] NAQP CW N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:54:57 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:  112    41
   80:  121    42
   40:  163    44
   20:  189    41
   15:   97    30
   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total:  684   200  Total Score = 136,800

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

Condx on high bands were poor, nil on 10M. Backscatter on 15 was quite
 weak. Then from about 1830 til 21Z, I had nearly constant snow static
 on all high bands; sorry if I didn't hear your call, I had a pretty
 good excuse! When the noise got really bad, I went S&P and could find
 enough loud sigs to keep me fairly busy. I'm sure I missed several
 backscatter mults due to the noise; I heard 2 TN stations on 15, but
 the noise came back up and burried them before a Q could be made.
 Despite the noise and condx, my rate was pretty good with about 320 Q's
 made by my first break at 2230Z. The skip zone was extremely long on
 40M at sunset and even before with the closest stations from TN/IN to
 the west at GA to the south and no 1's/2's except on scatter. I debated
 whether to quit, I couldn't run anyone on 40. After 30 min R&R and
 dinner, I was back at it on 20 and noticed the skip had shortened
 somewhat with some 9's and 5's workable. When I returned to 40, the
 skip zone had gratefully shortened and I had a good run fairly high in
 the band from 2350Z til 01Z; it was high enough that no one tried to
 take it away and I worked a few 1's and 2's plus many midwest and
 west coast with good sigs. I moved to 80 about 01Z and had poor luck
 CQ'ing at first, but a move higher up paid off and a good run ensued
 including some West Coast with decent sigs around their sunset. The
 noise from thuderstorms to the south was annoying and on 160 it was
 loud from 02Z til 04Z when I quit. Despite the QRN, 160 propagation
 was fabulous and by the time I quit, I had worked far more 160 Q's and
 mults than ever before in the NAQP, 112 Q's and 41 mults(= to 20 M)
 including AZ, MT, UT, NV, CO, CA, OR, WA, and BC! Ty, K3MM was the
 only station I ran the bands with and he was a new mult on every band
 but 15M, despite other MD's lurking around. W4AU, fellow PVRC'er in
 VA was my only other 10M Q.
   Total operating time was just short of 9 hours; I overdid it a bit
 before the contest which starts quite a bit earlier than SS, so
 I was pretty whipped by 11 PM local. Many thanks for the Q's and
 to those who moved for mults. I should have passed a few more mults
 around, but didn't break a good run to move which is not a totally
 bad strategy. My best rate was 92/hr from 01-02Z on 80M; first hr was
 88. Final score was a personal best for me, I believe, despite the
 condx and noise.