[3830] NAQP CW W5JAW Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5jaw@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W5JAW Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:20:04 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: W5JAW
Operator(s): W5JAW
Station: W5JAW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 8+

  160:   43    24
   80:  157    43
   40:  231    51
   20:  140    45
   15:   19    10
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  590   173  Total Score = 102,020

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers Wranglers

Comments:

RIG: SO1R+1TV*
MARKV FIELD 100W

Carolina Windom @ 30ft
8ft Wire Vert on 160

I missed the first 50 minutes due to enjoying the calm waters and mild temps on
Town Lake a little too much.  I was torn between the contest and watching UT
play Villanova.  After finishing my lunch, I turned on the rig a listened for a
few minutes to N3BB and K5NA struggling on 15m.  I could not hear the few
stations that returned their CQ's, so I almost threw in the towel before
starting.  Tried a few CQ's myself, with zip results.  Then S&P'd for a few
before going back to the B-ball game on TV.

Came back at half time and found no improvement on 15, so tried 20.  Managed a
few short runs, but switched to S&P the rest of the time.  Was able to get 15
minute bursts of 150/hr rates that way.  The game was close, so I turned on the
TV in the ham room, and watched out of the corner of my eye to its end.  Thus
the new SO1R+1TV category listed above.  Seemed to run out of new meat early, so
moved to 40 well before sunset.  As usual, 40 is by far my best band with this
antenna.  Got some good runs there, and S&P rates were also very good, almost
matching CQ rates.

I was off and on a lot as I stopped to go out for a quick dinner, and watch some
of the Denver/Pats game.  80 and 160 were very quiet for a change, and I did
better than I expected with my "farm".  Didn't spend much time on 160, but a
couple of quick S&P sweeps picked up some good mults.  Still amazed that an 8 ft
vert can work most anything on the band.

I was hoping to make at least 600 Q's and over 100k pts.  Missed by 10 on the
first, but managed to sneak by the second by picking up 3 quick mults on 80 in
the last 5 minutes!

I always seemed to be one qso behind Marv,N5AW, on 80m.  The other station would
always wonder about hearing another 'AW immediately after.

A fun contest.

Jim, w5jaw