[3830] NAQP SSB K7SS Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, desk@nwlink.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K7SS Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:18:19 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: K7SS
Operator(s): K7SS
Station: K7SS

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: wa
Operating Time (hrs): 8.7

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  425   122  Total Score = 51,000

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Team: Bob and Bob

Comments:

In deference to my elderly neighbor, who's alarm I had set off at 1AM the night
before by running power on 40, I decided to try QRP from home in this one. At
the start 15 was trying to wake up...heard K4XS at s1-2 and knew we were in
trouble... the band then took awhile before it got going...and quickly filled
with LOUD W9 W0 and W4 and 5s. nary a 1 2 or 3. and then just as quickly it went
back to sleep ...leaving 20 as the money band. 20 was good....and I was able to
actually CQ with 5 watts and get answers a fair amount of the time...decent QRP
trotting rate of about 60-90/hour...then it too dozed off and was snoring by 3PM
local time. What was left? Seven more hours of 40 80 and 160...to be met by 5
watts and single wire antennas. hmmmm  The pleasure of having answers to
CQs...forget it. The quick reply when calling someone... no way. The whole
mindset of being able to actually work anyone gave way to a struggle for most
every QSO to follow. Spent most of evening banging my head against the wall.
Ended up at my goal...but dont think I will be doing this again at the bottom of
the cycle. Really miss 10 meters especially w/ Q power.
Congrats to VE6EX who was 100 ahead of me midway and stayed that way to the end.
...PS I have an appointment w/ the alarm tech next week to see if we cant cure
the RFI problem. Thanks a million to all who had to struggle with my puny signal
on the low bands...if you heard someone calling that you just couldn't pull out
of the noise, it was probably me.  :D  73 de K7SS