[3830] NAQP SSB K9GX Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9gx@n4gn.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K9GX Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:51:42 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: K9GX
Operator(s): K9GX
Station: K9GX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   86    28
   80:  460    53
   40:  222    48
   20:   85    20
   15:   90    14
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  944   164  Total Score = 158,592

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Team: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

In spite of having the rig interface and shack PC go belly up last week I
managed, with lots of help from N4GN and NA4NA, to cobble a bare bones effort
together by 1745 UT Saturday. No rig control, no DVP and a sore throat.

What I'm most satisfied with is that fact that I perservered. Several times
before the starting gun I said to myself "this isn't going to work." When I
tried to enter the first Q I discovered there was a huge keyboard latency issue.
At 1805 I was dead in the water. I called Tim and he said "configure a
smartdrv". My first break was 1805-1835!

After that things improved. I can say I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Didn't hear
a single signal on 10M until N4GN called me late and we "walked the bands",
couldn't get rate on 20...actually made more Qs on 160 than 20..can you say
"bottom of the cycle"?

I went to 40 early. About an hour in on 40 suddenly there were stations on
frequency who were calling someone, but it wasn't me. After a couple of minutes
I realized Mike, W9RE was calling CQ on the same frequency. After figuring out
what was going on I gave Mike a call. He heard me, we worked, I explained what
was happening and he QSYed!

Later, I worked W9RE on 75. I told Mike he'd reaffirmed my faith in humanity. A
true gentleman.

Despite the technical challenges and the fatigue from shouting into a mic for 10
hours I'm pleased with the result. QSO total is up about 25% over 2005.

73, Mark, K9GX