[3830] CQ160 CW N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:12:48 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 23

Total:  QSOs = 210  State/Prov = 36  Countries = 4  Total Score = 20,880

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Boy, this was a contest with both highs and lows.  When I went
to bed early Sat. morning, I was way ahead of my previous best
at that point.  Got up Sat morning and added a few more Qs before
the band died.  Thought I was on a roll for a biggest score ever
in CQ 160.  Then Sat evening, everything seemed to die for me.
Most stations I heard I had worked the night before.  I could
hear strong stations from back east, but they weren't hearing me.
Just couldn't get any traction.  Reduced my goal to breaking
20K points, and when I did that, I pulled the plug and went to
bed.  So, no new high score to report.  This is now my second
highest score.

I'm curious to see what 20K will do for me in the contest.  In
2002 I took first place QRP in CA with 13+K points.

To prepare for the contest, I built a rotating delta loop along
the lines of the K6SE terminated loop.  Called it my Driveway
Delta Loop.  24 ft across the bottom, and 12 ft tall.  Worked ok,
but my tuned rotary loop up on a 15 ft mast beat it very handily.
Heard just as well and was much quieter.  The tuned rotary loop
also outperformed my full size Flag loop in the back yard most of
the time.

My only DX was PJ2, XE, KH6 and KL7.  Heard a couple of JA faintly,
but not worth the effort to try for them.  Heard ZF2NT under a big
pileup, but no other DX even heard.

I love 160m, but I really need to improve my receiving systems.
So far, DX just isn't in the cards here.

Hope you all had fun too.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude