[3830] CQ160 CW K5GO(@WD5R/N5ECT) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5go@cox.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K5GO(@WD5R/N5ECT) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 07:23:58 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K5GO
Operator(s): K5GO
Station: WD5R/N5ECT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ARKANSAS
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 1243  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 54  Total Score = 425,784

Club:

Comments:

This was the most enjoyable contest I can remember working.  It was something I
had thought about a lot since N5DX and I were going to compete against each
other to see who could win the certificate for Arkansas.  Doug, N5ECT, was
curious to know how his station would stack up against ours and asked me if I
would operate and get Kevin to work it from our QTH.  Doug worked very hard on
his beverages (11 in total) adding additional ones in phase toward Europe and
JA.

Doug (N5ECT) and Marlene (WD5R) are the nicest people you would ever know and
made me feel right at home.  They were great hosts and cheerleaders.

The only time I was discouraged was when I stopped to ask Kevin how many
contacts he had.  It was only a few hours into the contest and he was ahead of
me by over 100 contacts.  A few minutes later, N9RV called, and I told him Kevin
was kicking my butt.  Pat came back and sent R-E-T-I-R-E.  I said TU, thought
about that option for a fleeting moment and then thought about what Kevin had
told me Thursday night when I was packing some stuff up to take with me on the
trip Friday morning.  He said that in athletics they say that most only give
about 95%, because if they gave 100% and didn't win it would be too much of a
crush.  That may be true, but in this case I figured I was going to win either
way. If I tried as hard as I could and got beat, I would get beat by my son
operating from my station.  Nothing to feel bad about there.  What I really
wanted was for the scores to be very close regardless of who came out on top and
for both of us to do well enough from west of the Mississippi River to have a
chance to make the top ten in the USA.

A little calculation told me that with about 4000 QSO points and 100 multipliers
a new USA contact would yield 200 points.  A new multiplier, assuming it would
be a 10 pointer, would give me 5,000 points.  At a rate of 50 per hour calling
CQ, I thought it was worth it to spend a lot of time in the S&P mode, and that
was the only way I figured I could possibly win.

The highlights were working over 100 Europeans and finding V51AS calling CQ with
no takers under others in the DX Window.  One call, an exchange of reports, and
he was back to calling CQ - again with no takers.  Only worked a two JA
stations, two ZL stations, no VK, etc.  C4M was another good one that took some
time to work.

A four wheeler trip around Doug and Marlene's farm Sunday afternoon, eight
Europeans in the last few minutes of the contest including UW2M for a new
multiplier, a nice dinner that Marlene prepared and a rum cake to go topped off
a very enjoyable weekend.

Kevin obviously had a good time and has probably been bitten by that bug that
makes you love 160 Meters.

Rig:  IC-765, AL-1500
TX Antenna:  1/4 wave vertical with 60 radials
RX antennas:  Plenty

73...Stan, K5GO