[3830] NA Sprint CW N2NL(@W6NL) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2nl@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW N2NL(@W6NL) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 07:42:14 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: N2NL
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: W6NL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ca
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:  110
   40:  151
   20:  105
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

What an interesting Sprint with the RTTY and 3Y showing up on CW when they
originally announced they wouldn't.  Activity seemed down somewhat; I guess the
conflicting contest schedule and the bad weather in the east had something to do
with it.  Thanks to everyone who got on to make this a fun one, at least from
out here.

108/89/82/87 is the hourly rate.  20M was in very good shape for the first hour,
and there was activity on 40 from the beginning.  My second 40M QSO was VE9DX -
thanks Andy!  Things seemed to slow down for me in the third hour.  For the
first 30 minutes of this hour, I barely maintained a 60/hr rate.  Fortunately,
the activity shifted down to 80 and I was able to get the rate up with some QSOs
there.  40 kept producing for me - even when the 3Y showed up and I got chased
all over the band with "QSY", "QRL", "LID", ETC.  40 was productive enough that
I still needed a bunch of guys on 80 and was able to have a good final 30
minutes, catching up to some of the others who had pulled away.

Big, big thanks to Dave and Barb for having me back over to their beautiful QTH!
 Dave had everything set up for me; all I needed to bring was my keyer.  It
figures that the only thing I had to provide didn't have the necessary PTT
output for his interlock, and he scrambled to design the necessary circuit.
With time running out, he threw together the necessary parts on a breadboard,
hooked it into the keyer's guts, and we got the second station QRV at 2359z!
Thanks to his efforts, I was able to use the layout I prefer for SO2R (two
radios with two computers and interlock).  Thanks Dave!

Setup was 2 x TS-950s, 2 x Alpha 87A
6el 20M yagi on a 48ft boom fixed east (broken rotator)
2el 40M Moxon W6NL design
2el 80m wire inverted vee beam

Congrats to N2IC, N6TR, K5TR, N6MJ, W4PA, and thanks again to the other guys
back east who stuck it out through the winter storm.

73, Dave N2NL/6