[3830] NA Sprint CW K7SS QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K7SS QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 09:38:10 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: K7SS
Operator(s): K7SS
Station: K7SS

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: wa
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   25    1:08
   40:   62    1:38
   20:   73    1:14
---------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Team: Corner Pocketeers

Comments:

Whew!!!!  Didn't someone once say.."Life's too short for QRP"?... shoulda
listened to that guy!! especially at the bottom of the cycle and at home w/
wires and 3 el 20. Had a 4 hour ride of slowly spiralling accomplishments... 20
started great! could actually work most guys called with my 5W and even get a
few CQs answered....but then after an hour the elevator went down a floor to 40
and couldn't get an answer to a CQ and only guys that would answer were those
who had just finished a Q and had no one else calling em... then came the
basement floor...80 meters.  Nary a CQ answer, and nary a reply to those w/ no
one calling...til the last half hour of the test.. you could actually hear 80
waking up from just locals W7s and 6s, into the midwest and back east...clear as
a bell, and finally as the contest closed was able to actually work W6s without
fills, and the highlight was W2LC calling me after me working a 6...!!!  great
ears award to W2LC and W9RE on 80. QRP is a great humility lesson!

Apologies to all the speed demons who had to get repeat fills. It seemed like in
this sprint that speeds were much faster than in the past! could be cuz I had
decaf, not regular beforehand.

First time ever in sprint used computer logging... CT (yeah...i know..only took
me 15  years!!). Hit some mystery combination of keys and wound up not being
able to see if I had worked a typed in call before. Apologies to anyone I duped
on 40 midway during the contest...my computer told me you were NOT a dupe!
(Every previous sprint I relied on being able to recall in my head if i had
already worked someone on a particular band....letting this go, and trusting the
computer to remind me, sure eased up the mental pressure....until i hit those
keys! ..) also hit some key that took away my computer keying...had to stop and
load my keyer up...somehow told CT i was on ssb i guess!?.....back to my nr 2
pencil and paper next sprint. Studying Alt H Help file DURING a sprint is not a
good idea.

All in all, like a previous posting says, it was tough but still great fun!
See you in the next one!  Like the idea of 10 15 20, 15 20 40, or other band
combination sprints. would be fun to add others as conditions and cycle permit.

73 Dan K7SS
Corner Pocketeers