[3830] ARRLDX CW N5AU SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N5AU SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:12:09 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N5AU
Operator(s): N5AU
Station: N5AU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:   17    14
   80:   43    33
   40:  129    54
   20:  140    57
   15:  145    65
   10:   26    17
-------------------
Total:  500   240  Total Score = 360,000

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Had a weird failure on the 160 1/2-wave sloper that I didn't discover until
Saturday afternoon.  The outside temp was considerably below freezing with some
ice all weekend so I didn't feel like fixing it, and didn't operate 160 at all
the second night.

The center was fed using a "vintage" balun from the 1970's.  The balun broke
apart, either from the wire strain or frozen water inside heating.  There's not
much left.  The bottom half of the sloper was on the ground with the top half
hooked to a little piece of the balun with the RG8X still connected.   I worked
all 17 QSO's like this.   No arc's or damage on the amp, just didn't get through
the pile-ups too well, but it still was hearing pretty well (for a TX antenna).

As usual, had lots of local buzz, enhanced by the icy weather, so I still can't
call CQ without becoming a big alligator.   I am closing in on most of the
sources, so maybe soon I can really contest again from Texas.

Best contest moment:   One call to 3Y0X on 40 through a big mess.

Station:  FT1000MP/5  AL-1500

Antennas:  160 - 1/2 wave sloping dipole at 200 top (most of the time)
            80 - wire dipole horizontal at 140 east / west
            40 - 2L Cushcraft shorty at 170
            20 - 4L M2 at 120
            15 - 6L M2 at 135
            10 - 1/4 wave elevated GP at 40 (7L M2 is still on ground)

Will be putting up more antennas this summer fixed SA for 40-10, and getting the
main 10 up.   Ran out of time and weather last summer.