[3830] ARRLDX CW N4KG SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4KG@AOL.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N4KG SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:22:17 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:   63    45
   80:  125    72
   40:  207    82
   20:  328    87
   15:  157    75
   10:   29    17
-------------------
Total:  909   378  Total Score = 1,030,806

Club:

Comments:

ARRL CW DX Contest 2006
N4KG SOAB (A) LP

The first 9 hours were GREAT FUN on the Low Bands, along with the Saturday
morning opening to Europe on 20M.  The 15M opening was short, weak, and suffered
from less activity but I stayed with it because that was ?as good as it was
going to get?.  After that, as a Low Power Assisted Entrant, it was a long grind
of Packet Pileups.  I was forced to swing my Low Tribander (TH7 at 40 ft./12m.)
between SA, Africa, Asia, and the Pacific following a night of freezing rain
that left my 5L10, 4L15, 3L20, and 2L40 Monobanders literally frozen on Europe.
I know, I should have finished the replacement tower for my multiplier antennas
that are sitting on the ground waiting for a new support after dismantling my
heavily rusted 40+ year-old TV tower.

My goals for this contest were to maximize multipliers and make as many
multi-band QSO?s as possible. The incredible Low Band Conditions aided by a
short SA/Caribbean 10M opening Sunday Noon paid off Big Time with 15 stations on
6 Bands, 17 stations on 5 Bands, 22 stations on 4 Bands, and 33 stations on 3
Bands as listed in the table below.

Years of QRP Contesting taught me that Patience, Persistence, and TIMING can
yield surprisingly good results, even on the Low Bands, where my simple Wire
Antennas performed Miracles.  Who would think that 100 Watts to a tree supported
Inverted L would account for 45 countries on 160M from North Alabama (only 70
miles from W5)?  I?ve learned to expect that my 130 ft (40m.) High Dipoles will
bust through DX pileups, even with Low Power, and they did, to the tune of 72
counties on 80M.  Once again, a hearty Thank You to Cushcraft for their 2L 40M
beam that netted 82 countries to my multiplier and has performed admirably for
many years with zero maintenance.. I?m sure I missed many Q?s and probably some
multipliers on 40M due to lengthy stays on 80 and 160M.  It was interesting to
note that there appeared to be a lot of single band entrants, mostly from
Europe, especially on 160, 80, and 40M.

Almost all contacts were made by Search and Pounce with just a few short runs on
20 when no more ?fresh meat? could be found.  The second 24 hours was
particularly grueling after only an hour and a half sleep just before sunrise on
Saturday and too many days burning the DX candle at both ends before the
contest, mostly chasing 3Y0X on all bands.  The net results was a LOT of short
breaks to get away from the radio, make pit stops, and walk the dog for some
exercise and fresh air.  I need a relief operator to take the Day Shift !

Tom  N4KG / LP

N4KG SOAB(A)Low Power   ARRL CW DX 2006

Multi-Band QSO's

        6 Bands 5 Bands 4 Bands 3 Bands

1       8P9PA   6V6U    DL3YM   DK3GI
2       FG/N0YY CO8LY   EA3AKY  DR1A
3       FS5UQ   CU2A    F6BEE   EA2AAZ
4       HK1AR   CU7/dl5 F6HKM   EA5FV
5       J7OJ    EA5RS   GM3YTS  EA6UN
6       LR2F    EA8ZS   HG1S    EA8CN
7       P40W    FG/N0YY HG1S    EA9EU
8       PJ2T    G4BUO   HG6N    ED6B
9       PJ4R    HI3TEJ  IR4M    EI4DW
10      PS2T    HQ9H    LN4W    ES5Q
11      TI5N    IR2C    LU4AA   F6HKA
12      TO9A    KH6WT   OE4EMS  GM5A
13      V31PP   LR2F    OK1RF   HB9CVQ
14      VP2MVX  P49Y    OM7M    IO4T
15      WP2Z    V31TP   PI4TUE  J43J
16              VP5/wj2 PJ7/nd5 KH6RZ
17              WP3C    RK2FWA  KL7DX
18                      TI3M    LU7EE
19                      V26G    OE8SKQ
20                      VP9/k9  OH4A
21                      YR7M    OH6NIO
22                      YZ1U    OL3Z
23                              OM5M
24                              OY1CT
25                              PA0LOU
26                              PJ5NA
27                              RD3A
28                              VP9/W6PH
29                              XE1MM
30                              YT150AU
31                              YV1/w5alt
32                              ZK1NOU
33                              ZP0R

        6 Bands 5 Bands 4 Bands 3 Bands

CALLS   15      17      22      33