[3830] ARRLDX CW W3DQ SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wd3q@starpower.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W3DQ SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:34:20 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W3DQ
Operator(s): W3DQ
Station: W3DQ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Washington, DC
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  160:   21    18
   80:   34    25
   40:  151    54
   20:  298    64
   15:  126    52
   10:   19    10
-------------------
Total:  649   223  Total Score = 433,512

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The XYL and 11 year old son went out of town, while the teenage daughter stayed
home and was supposed to be diligently working on her school project as Dad
played radio.  Pestered the PVRC membership for operating strategies, and did
significant work on enhancing my use of WriteLog, including adding a second
monitor.  Never did get the 160 RX antennas to work.

Well, the best laid plans often go awry.  Didn't start 'til 1000z, and then had
to supervise/cajole and ultimaetly shuttle my daughter around town.

Probably bit off more than I could chew.  Had a really hard time getting my head
into copying CW and suffered through too many busted calls and pilot errors. [I
really don't understand why, when I'm CQing at 22 or 25 WPM, stations came back
to me at 40 wpm or so. Do they REALLY think I can copy them? Ha!],

Never was able to get any true runs going, and the spot-induced pileups were
really hard to manage.. lots of weak signals and QSB.

That notwithstanding, I put in more time than I expected, and in the end, it
actually was fun.

I was happy to be moved up and down the bands.  Worked J7OJ, PJ2T and TI5N on
all 6 bands, V26G on 5, and 12 others on 4.  Apologies to those who tried to
move me and I never heard.

Highlights? ZL, ZS, TU and 9K on 15m and ZL on 40m.

Station:

TT Orion
TT HErcules II amp (500w)
Force 12 C3-SS on 6 ft roof tower