[3830] ARRLDX SSB 8R1EA(@AH8DX) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ah8dx@msn.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB 8R1EA(@AH8DX) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 17:24:44 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: 8R1EA
Operator(s): CRAIG, AH8DX
Station: AH8DX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Guyana
Operating Time (hrs): 37.5

  160:   14    11
   80:  246    48
   40:  553    57
   20: 1446    59
   15: 2000    59
   10:  227    29
-------------------
Total: 4486   263  Total Score = 3,539,454

Club:

Comments:

WOW! I am pooped!

I tried my best to stay awake but I just couldn't make it. I slept a total of
10.5 hours during the test and still felt like crap! I guess between the jet lag
and surviving on minimum sleep this week after spending all of my time on RTTY
and 160, I knew that it would hit right in the middle of the contest and it did.
I still ended up with almost 4,500 q's and better than last year's score by 300k
points and that was with poor conditions on Sunday. Next year I will change my
pre-contest plans and get some sleep stored up.

It's been a great week on HF, WARC, RTTY, PSK31 and 160. I hope 8R now is in
many logs! I traveled light this year with my suitcase station. I used the Icom
IC-7000 the entire trip and it hasn't been turned off since I left the states a
week ago. I did notice that it does get hot though and an extra fan should be
ran to keep it cool (next trip). I used a light Ameritron AL-811H on this trip
so my 70 pound bag could hold more than just a big amp. I could have used a real
1.5kw rather than 650w this weekend to hold my freq.

I missed the short 10 meter opening on Saturday and in talking to my friend Ken,
8R1ZUM, he said he has a gud number of q's in the log on 10. I knew I screwd up
then. On Sunday, Jeff, VY2ZM stopped by my freq. on 15 and I asked him if 10 was
open. He told me that if I wanted to get some 10 meter qso's that I would have
to be there at 1915 zulu. I was there at 1900 zulu and the first 10 meter
stateside q was in the log shortly before the time he mentioned. Thanks for the
tip Jeff, that one saved me!

Going to bed for a day!

Craig Maxey, AH8DX & 8R1EA