[3830] ARRLDX SSB K7RL SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K7RL SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:41:52 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 43

  160:   17    14
   80:   97    43
   40:  423    77
   20: 1214   125
   15:  398    63
   10:   18     4
-------------------
Total: 2167   326  Total Score = 2,119,326

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

First time operating a DX contest at the solar cycle minimum ? what a challenge.
 Here?s a few thoughts band by band:

160M:  Usual 160m activity.  Work KL, Caribbean, South America, and Mexico.  No
surprises.  Thought I heard an Italian station Saturday night, but the East
Coast pile-up was too big.  BOTTOM LINE:  Up 3 mults and 3 Qs from last year.

80M:  Most EU I?ve heard in a DX contest to date.  SN3A, ON4UN, DL1A, and GM7V
were some of the loudest signals.  My beam?s SWR is 2:1 at 3.840, so working
those stations listening around 3.900 was quite a challenge.  BOTTOM LINE:  Up
12 mults and 30 Qs from last year.

40M:  Had a few short, but fun, EU runs.  The first night was tough as even the
loudest 59+20 EU stations seemed to have a hard time hearing me.  JA propagation
was good both nights.  BOTTOM LINE:  Up 17 mults and 10 Qs from last year.

20M:  A solar minimum mad house.  It was difficult to find a good frequency
Saturday and Sunday morning as stations around the globe converged to call CQ.
My compliments to anyone that tried to hold a frequency running low power.
BOTTOM LINE:  Up 13 mults and 257 Qs from last year.

15M:  First day never opened to EU, but did manage to work a few EA and CT
stations the second day.  Nothing heard from anything North of EA,
unfortunately.  JA was good both Friday and Saturday, but virtually nil on
Sunday.  Actually, I was pleasantly surprised to be working anything on 15m at
this point.  BOTTOM LINE:  Down 25 mults and 94 Qs from last year.

10M:  If you were farther East than a 130 degree beam heading, I didn?t hear
you.  Nothing heard from the South Pacific either.  BOTTOM LINE:  Down 28 mults
and 68 Qs from last year year.

Overall, the score is up 86,268 points as 138 additional Qs went into the log,
with 8 less mults.  More mults on 160M through 20M almost offset the loss on 15M
through 10M.

Thanks to all the great operators for getting me into your log!

73 de Mitch, K7RL