[3830] CQ160 SSB K6GNX Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, drbill@soaringaudio.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB K6GNX Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:26:10 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: K6GNX
Operator(s): K6GNX
Station: K6GNX

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: RENO,NV
Operating Time (hrs): 15.3

Total:  QSOs = 569  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 9  Total Score = 76,322

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

First of all, what fun!  I love hearing the voices of old friends and kibitzing
even for a few seconds.  Most fun, giving NF7E my frequency long enough to work
MB when he heard him come back to my CQ.  He's 12 years old and was at his
Grandfather's QTH.

Being an EE Prof and a professional engineer is a liability for contesting.  The
second night I noticed some technical anomaly and spent an hour investigating
during prime time.  I know, I know, if it isn't broken don't fix it.  There were
a few more stations that I could not copy on SSB than during the CW test.
Figures as S/N is about 9dB worse on SSB (2200Hz/300Hz).  Got all 9 Beverages
working for this one.  Biggest embarrassment was having KH7X tell me he had
tried to work me for an hour.  I was using the East Beverage and since I could
still hear the West Coast I got lazy and stopped turning it after every QSO.  I
definitely turned it for the rest of the contest.

Hat's off to WX3B who very politely moved when he called CQ on my frequency as
did 3 others.  One DX station moved in and refused to budge.  I asked several
"real contesters" what they thought and I got back that "contesting is like the
roller derby ... all elbows"  and another (who operates at a BIG contest
station) said just move and keep your rate up.  By my count it's still 80%
gentleman's band.

Missed RI VT DE, along with the usual suspects in Canada, LB NB NT NS PE QC YT.
John ON4UN says I've got to have several phased Beverages to the East. We'll
see.  QRN was there the second night, that really slows down the rate ... "Your
state?" again and again.  Thanks to those who very patiently repeated their call
and state for minutes.

Couldn't stay up all night either night.  Boy did I miss the JA's - the saving
grace for the West Coast.  I worked 91 of those 10 pointers during the CW
test.

Thanks to everyone for the Q's, especially during the busy times the first
night.  Multi-Op because of packet - it got me 2 mults.

Cheers
DrBill K6GNX