[3830] Commonwealth ZL4BR Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, zl2br@ihug.co.nz
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth ZL4BR Open HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 01:41:55 -0800
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: ZL4BR
Operator(s): ZL4BR
Station: ZL4BR

Class: Open HP
QTH: New Plymouth
Operating Time (hrs): 23

------------
   80:   53
   40:  128
   20:  136
   15:   31
   10:    4
------------
Total:  352  Total Score = 4,800

Club:

Comments:

With the solar flux around 72 compared with 110 for last years contest, I was
not expecting to break any records. Majority of contacts were made in first four
and last four hours. During daylight hours things were really bleak, only 35
contacts between 2100 and 0600.

Participation level seemed very similar to last year except for VK/ZL, where
activity was very much down, probably due to the poor conditions on the HF
bands. 74 contacts with 31 VK/ZL stations compared with 108 contacts with 48
stations in 2005.

20m to VE/Caribbean was a big disappointment, just 5 VE/VO and 1 Caribbean.
However I did have 3 five-banders, VE7CC and two ZL's, it would have been four
if could have heard ZF2NT on 20m.

Overall compared with last was down 30 contacts and nearly 700 points, probably
due the low VK/ZL activity.

On the up side, 80m was in really great shape, 40m had its moments as well. Was
realy pleased to work 25 G stations on 80m, which was certainly the most Eu
stations I have ever worked on this band in a single contest in 30 years. Could
have worked more on 40m if I did not have a constant S6 noise level and at times
the Indonesian SSB pirates to contend with.

This was my 21st Beru in 32 years, first was in 1975. Have operated with four
different calls, ZL4CP, ZL4HH, ZL2BR and ZL4BR. Looking forward to the next one
for sure and a few more after that.

73, Frank ZL4BR