[3830] Rus DX N8II SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] Rus DX N8II SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:18:23 -0800
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 13

  160:    0      0        0         0
   80:   37      2       17         1
   40:   97      0       26         3
   20:  191     53       38        23
   15:   26      6       16         0
   10:    0      0        0         0
Total:  353     59       97        27  Total Score = 249,240

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Unless I'm missing something, Russian DX Contest = work lots of Russians.
 This was definitely not the case as propagation to Russia was nearly nil
 on any band but 20M and poor on 20. That was coupled with an above normal
 line noise problem on 20M, which definitly affected receive capability
 and lowered score. I must have masocistic tendencies, because I decided
 to give low power a try.
   It was very sobering to go up to 15M 2 hours into the contest and fail
 to work EA5BM who was running Russians at 100+/hr rates and not hear any
 of them. The only Russian heard was from Kr on the Black Sea on 15 and
 none were worked on 40 til after the bottom fell out of conditions around
 2245Z. I kept holding onto 7003 kHz and was working some Eu and lots of
 NA stations til then. It was startling to tune across 40 at sunset and
 find almost no Eu left on the band. 4U1ITU was S9+20db on 40 at 21Z; I
 should have S&P'ed more before the bottom dropped out. I was surprised
 to run so well on 40 with LP and to work most of the Eu calling CQ on
 80; I couldn't hear a peep out of the Russians they were working. It
 was some fun, but could have nearly doubled score running HP, I'd guess.

Since last summer WAE phone, CQP, PaQP, SS Phone, CQWW CW, NaQP Phone, RUDX, and
VaQP have all pretty much been spoiled by low flux and/disturbed condx; I'm
looking forward to the next cycle!