[3830] WPX SSB VO1MX(@VO1MP) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gussam@nl.rogers.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB VO1MX(@VO1MP) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:14:08 -0800

   3.5     349   1674  137
     7     347   1781  194
    14    1965   4999  530
    21     856   2406  143
 Total    3568  11057 1020

Score: 11,278,140

Station Set up:

FT 1000mp Field   and Alpha 87a
160 Meters       ???.  Shunt fed Tower System
 80 Meters       ???.   Dipole
 40 Meters      .....   2 el Delta Loop array switchable NE/SW
 20 Meters       ???.   2 x 2el Delta Loop Arrays
 15 Meters       ???.   5 el OWA
 10 Meters       ???.    5 el OWA

Notes:

First Ever Multi Single from this station..... A lot to learn about doing it
properly, however the group is happy with the result and realize the score could
have been much better, but in any event the three operators had a blast and look
forward to doing it again.

After some early quibbling and Kibitzing over whose call would be best to use,
VO1HE OR VO1MX ... we ( I )decided that at least for me there would be only one
of the  two letters to learn to phoneticize continuously with an  X instead of
a P .... Hi !
For me the contest highlighted the friendly rivalry between friends from
childhood VO1HE and VO1MX.  Dan VO1MX lives about 220 miles from my location and
drove in for the weekend, Paul lives close by in St. John's

The absence of my 20 meter 5 element antenna initially was a major concern here,
however conditions during the week prior to the contest gave a weather window
and let me install a pair of 2 element delta loop arrays one firing NE favouring
Asia and Europe and the other firing  WNW covering most of North America and The
pacific. In as much as both antennas had only about 15 db F/B, that allowed us
to work lots of stuff off the back and still have a reasonable forward gain in
the favoured direction. All of us were pleasantly surprised by the performance
of these arrays and the ability to instantly switch directions, surely helped.
Fortunately Murphy took last week off because as I write this we are receiving
50 centimeters of snow accompanied by
100 KPH  winds.

Unfortunately one of my rigs had gone south prior to the contest, so we decided
to use one rig only ...effectively this was a one rig  multi single.... in
retrospect this was quite obviously a mistake as undoubtedly we  had to have
missed many opportunities to work multipliers on another band while the main rig
was CQ'in....... oh well like I said earlier we are relative neophytes at this
Multi Single stuff and I need to get my head around the switching and setup in
order to facilitate this kind of operation, of course having all
antenna feed lines covered by a meter of snow made any last minute antenna
positioning and selecting impossible, however I am relatively pleased with how
everything played.
Conditions on HF were pretty poor in the days prior to the contest , However the
effects of the recent flare had all but disappeared by Sunday , it is not often
you work as many stations on the second day as the first .We did manage to
operate almost 47 out of the 48 hours available , the one hour having been taken
by yours truly to catch a few Zeds on the first night ? mea culpa..

Thanks to all for the Calls
VO1MX & VO1HE & VO1MP

C?Y?All Next One GLWCDR.

Gus   VO1MP