[3830] WPX SSB P40L(W6LD) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jfore@wsgr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB P40L(W6LD) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:04:08 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: P40L
Operator(s): W6LD
Station: P40L/P49Y

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  282
   40:  571
   20: 1822
   15: 1301
   10:  356
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I greatly enjoyed my second phone effort from outside the US, although I seem to
continue to be on a steep learning curve.

Good 10 meter openings into the US each evening, including at the beginning of
the contest, were a pleasant surprise given where we are in the sunspot cycle.

On the other hand, I was plagued by line noise on the high bands, especially on
15 meters where it was S-9 during most of the contest.  Also, during the days
there were times when I felt I was in some kind of a propagation ?hole?; that?s
a fairly uncommon feeling when operating from Aruba (not that I expect much
sympathy from those in less propagation favored locations  :) ).  At one point,
I could hear guys 500 miles away running EU on 15 meters hours before I could
get anything going.

I invested much of the time available before the contest working on our
beverages.   We now have 500 foot beverages aimed at 45 degrees (EU), 10 degrees
(East US) and 320 degrees (West US).  They worked great during the contest and I
used them heavily on 80 and 40 meters and, at times, even on 20 meters.

Congratulations to ZD8Z and 8P5A on terrific showings!  Congratulations also to
all the great multi-op efforts, especially the record setting multi-two effort
by the guys at HC8N.

And, as always, thanks for all the contacts.  Every one of them is much
appreciated.

73,

John, W6LD/P40L

Station details:

Rigs:  IC-756ProII (2)
Amplifiers:  Alpha 87A; Alpha 86
Logging software:  WriteLog
Antennas:
75 meter inverted V at 60 feet
40 meter 2 element yagi (402CD) at 60 feet; dipole at 40 feet for US phone
band
20 meters 3 element yagi (Force 12) at 60 feet
15 meter 4 element yagi (Force 12) at 50 feet
10 meter 4 element yagi (Force 12) at 50 feet
C31XR tribander at 50 feet
500 foot beverates for EU, East US and West US