[3830] LP Sprint W5JAW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5jaw@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] LP Sprint W5JAW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 08:34:31 -0700
                    Low Power CW Sprint

Call: W5JAW
Operator(s): W5JAW
Station: W5JAW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 3.2

   80:   44
   40:   41
   20:   55
---------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

40m Carolina Windom @ 30 ft, MKV Field

Let me summarize by saying that the first 50 minutes were a blast, the next hour
was less than exciting, and the rest was pure torture.  I had my best start in a
Sprint, with only N3BB and 2 other stations worked having higher NR's than mine
in the first hour and half.  The bad news is that I made about half of my total
in the first 45 minutes, not leaving much fun for the rest of the time.

I guess I'm a wuss, but the static got to me big time.  If there had been more
activity it would have been easier to take.  It's a good thing I had my hearing
tested during my annual physical last week.  I would flunk it after last night!
I found I had to take frequent breaks from the crashes, with nothing new to
work, to clear my head.  On top of that, one of my neighbors must have some kind
of new electronic toy that puts out trash on 80m.

This is still the only contest format that I am likely to enter seriously
anymore.  I agree that this one ought to be shortened by at least an hour until
it becomes more widely known.  It is supposed to be a "Sprint", after all.

I would think that SO2R would have been especially helpful in scratching out the
stragglers.  If I could figure out a way to put up a second antenna, I might try
it sometime.

I was lucky enough to have a Golden log in the January Sprint.  Not likely this
time.  Copy too tough.  It will be interesting to see how many there are this
time.

And, Rick, you sly devil!  You had me fooled.  Couldn't figure how you had that
many when I only heard you twice.

Jim, w5jaw