[3830] SP DX VE3QAA SOABCW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kimba@sprint.ca
Subject: [3830] SP DX VE3QAA SOABCW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 06:25:01 -0700
                    SP DX Contest

Call: VE3QAA
Operator(s): VE3QAA
Station: VE3QAA

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH: Ottawa
Operating Time (hrs): 18.5

  160:    6     0       6
   80:   37     0      16
   40:  133     0      16
   20:  203     0      16
   15:   13     0       9
   10:    0     0       0
---------------------------
Total:  392     0      63  Total Score = 73,332

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

A very frustrating end to this contest! I was very pleased with my operating and
strategy this year, although my sleep break was longer than intended. I was even
satisfied with only six 160m contacts, in view of the high QRN and rain static
levels. But the big problem was with the propagation gods on 15m. I was looking
for a 15m opening in the last few hours, but it didn't happen for me.  I could
hear my  VE3 competition in the Toronto area working SP's like crazy, but I
couldn't hear a peep - only a few YU's, SV's,and UA6's, booming in! I spent the
final 3 hours of the contest flogging 15m, but there was only one opening,
lasting for 6 minutes from 13:16 to 13:22, after which the gods pulled a switch
and propagation to Poland completely vanished! There was no further opening, and
3 hours calling hundreds of CQ's produced only 12 Q's, all but 2 during the
6-minute opening.
  My congratulations to George, VA3EF, who will undoubtedly win top spot for the
SOMB CW category for Canada this year. I'm looking forward to next year when our
friendly competition will continue!