[3830] 7QP N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] 7QP N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 07:58:15 -0700
                    7th Area QSO Party

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:    0      0
   80:    6      0
   40:   54     39
   20:   52     13
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:   79     79  Mults = 79  Total Score = 34,523

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I enjoyed working this first 7QP contest.  Propagation was really
 a challenge, though.  Seemed like the bands were either too long
 or too short for me :-)  Probably were just right for the 7 guys
 though.

 This was my first serious try at adding ssb to my mix with my K2
 barefoot at 5w cw and 10w PEP ssb.  I picked up 18 mults on ssb
 that I never heard anywhere on cw, so the ssb was a useful
 addition to my mix.

 I found Oregon to be best represented, with 22 counties worked,
 and Idaho the least represented with only 3 counties worked.
 It was interesting to see stations with S9+++ signals that
 could not hear me, while I had no trouble working other stations
 that I could barely copy myself.  You just never know.

 After spending a couple of days working with several propagation
 programs to get some idea of what bands would be best when for each
 state, I found that the results didn't match the predictions.  I
 think one reason is that predictions that are best for us to work
 the 7th district states are clearly not best for them to be working
 the rest of the country.  In future, I'm going to look at the charts
 from their perspective to see where they are more likely to be, and
 then figure out how and when to look for them.

 This was a fun time.  I think it would be better with more time,
 either as a continuous 24 hour contest, or maybe two 12 hour windows
 on Sat and Sun.  More time equals more fun, right?

 Thanks to everyone out there for all the Qs.  See you in the next
 one.
 73, Bob N6WG
 The Little Station with Attitude