[3830] Volta RTTY VA7ST SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Volta RTTY VA7ST SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 22:18:03 -0700
                    Volta RTTY DX Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5

   80:   23   187    11
   40:   26   259    12
   20:   98  1311    35
   15:    3    68     2
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  150  1825    60  Total Score = 16,425,000

Club:

Comments:

FT920
3 element tribander at 50'
3 element 40M Inverted-V beam SE @70'
2 element 40M Inverted-V beam NW @60'
2 element 80M Inverted-V beam SE @70'

Software: N1MM Logger V6.4.1 + MMTTY

        Band    QSOs    Pts  Cty   Sec
         3.5      23    187    0   11
           7      26    259    1   11
          14      98   1311   18   17
          21       3     68    1    1
       Total     150   1825   20   40

       Score :   16,425,000

This was a tower-turning exercise chasing mults -- spun the beam from NNE
around to NW the long way many times to work a few EU and a few AS stations,
but not a lot of either.

Big constant S9 power line noise out of E (BC Hydro can't find the source,
after two formal searches and three suspect poles rebuilt) so apologies to
those I couldn't hear well enough to work. There were many.

The 40M wire yagis weren't worth their weight in fence wire this time out.
Spent more than an hour Saturday evening with no Qs. Could hear dozens of loud
signals on the band, but no one heard me. Have three beams pointed NE, SE and
NW and few Qs from any.

Later in the evening, I picked up 26 Qs and 11 sections, but by then most had
gone to 80M. Gotta fix that. Sparse DX, too -- 4M5 was booming in, but despite
calling many, many times, he couldn't hear me. YV5 and CM copied all right.

Felt pretty strong on 80M with the 2-wire inverted-V beam playing better than
it has since I put it up. Still no grand performer. Think the delta loops were
more effective, but the jury's still out on that.

LW9EOC was very loud here all day Saturday. Only two others heard -- N0OBT for
the lone section, and LW9ETQ. Had hoped for more stateside contacts, but none
to be had.

Last year's score of 1.2 million was up a million from the previous two years.
This year I'm up 14.2 million from 2005. Steady improvement. One more year of
rotten propagation and we're close to being back in business. Looking forward
to having 10 and 15 active again.

By then, maybe I'll have sniffed out the power line noise source and had it
fixed. It's no fun.