[3830] Volta RTTY ON5KQ SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Volta RTTY ON5KQ SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 23:46:06 -0700
                    Volta RTTY DX Contest

Call: ON5KQ
Operator(s): ON5KQ
Station: ON5KQ

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: JO11OF
Operating Time (hrs): 23

   80:    0     0     0
   40:  340  2308    61
   20:    0     0     0
   15:    0     0     0
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  340  2308    61  Total Score = 47,867,920

Club:

Comments:

First time partissipating this contest.
Thanks for the nice competition.
Condx seem to be rather bad on 40m - no JA heard ever ! Sorry not to be able to
100% decode VK1AHS - Afterwards, I was sure it was him who kept calling me, but
MMTTY just could not print his call due to strange flutter and heavy fading on
the signal. Also signal strength was very much down to normal condx..

30min after the contest my direction switching unit for my 4-square antenna
break down - Southamerica direction as well as long pass Pacific switched off !
Oh dear...
Fortunately I still had my NorthWest direction for USA during the night
although in the morning also NorthWest relay could not resist against 1kw
Carrier condition...hihi. I used rather small relays usually ok for 100wtts and
careful SSB - but rtty melted them. After this contest I know I need to
strengthen this part of the Antenna-system very much to resist my very stable
homebrew 1kW amp

I am very pleased with the extremly versatile 4square on 2000m2 steel roof.
It's 11m above the saltewater canal in front of the house and therefore is not
only a good performer in DX, but also very loud in EU, due to it's quarterwave
high elevation against the saltwater. Switching direction instantly is a very
useful asset in working multi's in contests. Too bad that the southamerica
direction could never be used during the whole contest.

Thanks for FR5GS and VK6's calling me. Also nice to get a call from ZL4BR - all
short-pass due to failed antenna to LP.
Thank you for almost 60 USA stations calling me. XE and HR are even new ones
for me in RTTY - very pleased to work them easily in the pile-ups

Conclusion: this 40m station is the best I ever had, probably the best you can
do with verticals. After the last winter tests Signal strength in DX is about
the same than a full size 3 ele Yagi at about 70feet (many,many signal strength
comparisons conducted)
Front to back ratio of 20db helps to reduce QRM from EU especially when working
USA. It especially helps MMTTY to decode them better...
Heard very week even W7WHY working east coast on 40m - did anybody work him
from EU ???

I wonder HOW well my score is in the competition. It is 15 Mio above all time
record, if I can believe the volta-website, however I am afraid of some other
big guns from EU, who might have even much higher score...

Thanks for all station called me - see you next time !

Ulli,ON5KQ
www.on5kq.be