[3830] WPX CW W1AF(NF1R) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, clayton.nf1r@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W1AF(NF1R) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 20:44:37 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W1AF
Operator(s): NF1R
Station: W1AF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 32

------------
  160:
   80:   31
   40:  391
   20:  728
   15:  185
   10:   48
------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Thanks to some quick antenna and rotor repair by station manager Tim, N1QZY, I
was able to put in a near full-time effort from the Harvard Wireless Club,
W1AF.  This was a contest of firsts--my first time using a computer to send CW,
and my first time putting in a serious effort in a contest lasting longer than
half a day.

Weaned myself of the linear amplifier for this one, and decided to put in a
low-power all-band effort.  I did not know what to expect, especially on 40 and
80 CW.  Going in, my strategy was to run Europe whenever possible on 40, even if
it meant giving up some higher rate hours on an active 20 and 15.  As it turned
out, running DX was easier (or at least seemed easier) on 40 than it was on 20
or 15.  Perhaps there was less competition for space, or maybe I was just on
the band at the right time.

Interesting to see that so many other stations had large numbers on 15, and a
smaller proportion of their contacts on 40.  Maybe I committed too little time
to 15 and 10, but I could never seem to get good runs going on either band
other than the 1-pointer stateside contacts.  By far my best "points per hour"
were on 40.

Unlike ARRL DX, 20 was horrible for me during Saturday and Sunday daytime, with
serious noise problems that drowned out calling stations.  It got better late in
the afternoon and into the evening, allowing me to sustain some runs.

Highlights:
-Being called by ZC4LI (UK Military Bases on Cyprus) and EA8PP (Canary Is.) on
80 M, and observing
-Running a packet-induced pileup in the last hour of the contest on 40 meters
(I discovered the packet spot after the contest--thanks N3OC!)
-Hitting the 1,000 QSO mark for the first time ever in a serial number
contest.
-Worrying about hydration, caffeination, and urination--who says this isn't a
performance sport?
-Receiving a visit from departing club president Matt, KG2OT, whose friends
were able to see contesting mania firsthand.

Thanks to license trustee Mike, K3UOC, for advice and support.  We'll look
forward to having you as our Guam multiplier in the CQWW this fall!

73,
Clayton
NF1R

Rig: IC-781 at 100 watts
Antennas:
Tennadyne T-10 log periodic (with half an element broken off) at 100+ feet
X7 at 60 feet
40-2CD at 100+ feet
80 meter inverted vee