[3830] WPX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 12:25:41 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: TI5N
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: TI5KD

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Costa Rica
Operating Time (hrs): 35.95

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:  167
   20:  335
   15:  288
   10:  205
------------
Total:  995  Prefixes = 461  Total Score = 1,272,360

Club:

Comments:

Rig: Yesau FT-817 for the first 27 hours.
     Kenwood TS 940S with output set at 5 watts for the rest of the contest.

Antennas at TI5KD:

Quad at 25 meters, 4 el 10M, 3 el 15M and 20M

TH6 Tribander at 25 meters, fixed north

2 el yagi for 40M up 30 meters

2 el 40M Quad fixed at 20 degrees

80M rotatable short dipole up 32 meters

80M loop with apex at 27 meters

160M inverted V with apex at 30 meters

A3 tribander at 12 meters fixed 135 degrees

20M 4 el yagi fixed north

Conditions were significantly worse than last year, as would be expected at the
bottom of the cycle. My score was down 26% from last year.

But there were still lots of exciting moments, like working KH6ND/KH5 and
ZA/DF4SA on 40 M, and 3V7A on 15 M.

At about 03:00 Z on the second day, my FT-817 started acting up and wouldn't
put out audio unless I recycled it by turning it off and on.  Fortunately Keko
(TI5KD) had the Kenwood TS 940S was right on the table, and I had it on-line in
less than 5 minutes.  I thought little low power rigs like the FT-817 never
failed!

I could work almost nothing the first night on 40 Meters, but the second night
I thought I was using a kilowatt!  Almost everyone including Europe, came back
on the first call.  It was fantastic to see the score rise so quickly with all
the new "off continent" prefixes adding up!

I really miss the contest participation of the Japanese stations.  We used to
be able to work hundreds of JA stations, but now there are just a few dozen
left, mostly contest stations, I believe.

But Qs this year were much more of a struggle, and I look for the sunspots to
come back again.

...Bill Parker  W8QZA / TI5N  qrp