[3830] IARU K9GY SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, eric.p.hall@us.army.mil
Subject: [3830] IARU K9GY SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 15:29:59 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K9GY
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K9GY

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: Illinois EN61FR
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:
   80:
   40:  201            38
   20:  210            46
   15:   56             8
   10:   12             2
---------------------------
Total:  479     0      94  Total Score = 123,986

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Well I had a WRTC style operation myself.

Antenna and station setup began at approx 0130z July 8th and lasted until 06z
July 8th! Luckily the XYL bought a four foot folding table at CostCo! My
regular desk was too full to re-arrange. Nothing like trying to tie down an 80m
antenna on the roof while the XYL is trying to sleep in the room below. That
does not count as good family points, hah!

Caught four hours of sleep then up two hours before the start. PP5/K5ZD,
PP5/K1DG, and PP5/DL6FBL were workable on 20m CW an hour before the start. At
approx 1150z it seemed like I had no CW filters. Umm, the FT-857D was just back
from Yaesu repair this week...did they reset the radios settings? At 1155z I
decided to open the case up to see what was happening. The filters came lose in
all the shipping between IL and CA, hah! Mental note to check out radios well
BEFORE the contest!

Next Murphy hit the low 80m dipole I strung up in hopes of getting a couple of
easy mults (zones 6,7,8)...Very high SWR. The same antenna had done that to me
in a recent trip to C6A. Unfortunately it was not as easy as tightening the lug
nuts on the balun...So I will be in search of a new 80m antenna! Lost an hour
between approx 1718-1818z trying to fix it. Checked out aok with ohm meter on
Sunday so not sure what is the problem?! The Force 12 antenna worked like a
champ...as it had done in C6A for WPX CW.

Goal was 600 Qs. Almost there but the lack of sleep on Fri night hurt me later
on. Took a 20 min nap Sat afternoon. Then a four hour snooze from approx
06z-10z (July 9th). So probably would of achieved the 600 Qs if not for the
sleep monster kicking in. No caffeine intact for me. I am a fan of the 20 min
naps now. Just did not have the heart to set the alarm to 2 am local since the
XYL was in the room next door. Most Qs were S+P...love finding those nuggets of
DX and multipliers...flash backs to M/S days, hah!

Heard B1HQ around 1150z on 20m CW. He could not get the "G" in my call.
That would of been a nice last minute mult...I heard him before the pileup too!

Worked 20 "PT5" stations and 18 "PW5" WRTC stations.
Did not work: PT5A, PT5B, PT5G, PW5A, PW5D, PW5G, PW5M, or PW5T.
The calls PT5Z and PW5R must not have been used.

Equip:
Yaesu FT-857D
Force12 Sigma-40XK/r (in farmer's field about 175 feet away from shack)

CQ CONTEST!

Best of health to all,
Eric

P.S. - I need to work on getting C6AHQ ("BARS") for a future IARU contest
expedition...yeah that's the ticket!