[3830] WAE CW N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] WAE CW N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:18:26 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~8

   80:   19          10
   40:  111          30
   20:  240          38
   15:   83          21
   10:    6           5
-------------------------
Total:  459   455   104  Total Score = 235,812

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Too many activities including dog to vet, dog and wife to C&O Canal
 towpath, and picnic with XYL's family Sunday to make a serious effort.
 I didn't make many Q's at all til Saturday around 20Z, then it was in
 and out with plenty of sleep time. I had a very annoying problem on 40;
 RF kept knocking me out of TR til I discovered at 2325Z Sunday that my
 ground was loose on the radio. I could run about 400-500 W. Sigs were
 good on 40, but not many answers to CQ's til 23Z Sunday when I caught a
 lot of guys I had worked on 20 and 15. I heard absolutely no Eu on 15M
 Saturday; Sunday was a pleasant surprise. Signals built up very slowly
 and running was impossible at first, but I finally started running low
 in the band at about 1 per minute, then it slowed. The 10M opening here
 was a big surprise as the one on 15 didn't sound like Es. On 15, sigs
 were somewhat weak, but from all areas of Eu including OH0, RK2, RD3
 and there was no rapid QSB characteristic of Es. All sigs on 10 were
 just right in the noise and a bit fluttery, but it was nice to catch 5
 mults working DL0KM, 9A3OS, HG1S, S58A, OM2VL, and DM1A.  80 sounded pretty
good Saturday around 01Z, but activity was low; the big guns were well above
 the noise. I finally started to push it a little the last 4 hours as the score
built, but still took some off time then.
   A tip to the packeteers; calling out of turn does not get you thru
 faster. Several times I would come back to a partial call, only to have
 several still calling, but fortunately it thinned out to the point
 where I could get the full call. The Eu ops did an excellent job
 copying QTC's, many thanks. Hopefully when the solar flux improves
 activity will as well.