[3830] NA Sprint CW W1NN(@K8AZ) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W1NN(@K8AZ) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:27:05 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: K8AZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   84    0:59
   40:  114    1:34
   20:   89    1:27
---------------------

Club: North Coast Contesters

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

Thanks to Tom Lee K8AZ for inviting me to operate his great station and for
spending a lot of his personal time to help rearrange equipment and set up the
software.

Hours:  65, 69, 68, 85

Things went better than last time but I still have not figured out how to use
Tom's 20 meter antennas to the best advantage in the Sprint.  I also had a lot
of repeats - many guys still do not know I have moved back to Ohio and don't
catch the QTH on the first go.  And my name has always been hard for many to
catch - is it Hal or Sal?  As a result I got off to a rather poor start.
Furthermore, expecting 80 to be noisy from the T-storms that passed through
late in the afternoon, I decided I should remain on 20 as long as possible, so
I stayed until 01:24 (and went back later for 1 time-consuming contact).  This
was a mistake because the QRN on 80 turned out to be very minor in NE Ohio and
the band very hot.  (Truth be told, this was just the latest of my many excuses
over the years for staying too long on 20.  Why do I always do this?  Only my
psychoanalyst can tell.  What I need is a machine that shouts "Go to 40!" every
10 seconds if I stay on 20 past 0110.)

Once I hit 40 things took off and the rate for the rest of the contest was
greatly improved.  The last hour was the best.  80 was in excellent shape, with
the whole country workable.

Two things to be thankful for:  no QRM from a RTTY contest and no problem from
the WAE contest on 40.

This is the best contest of all.  Hope to see everyone next time.

73,

Hal W1NN