[3830] CQ WW RTTY WX4TM SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY WX4TM SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 03:54:48 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: WX4TM
Operator(s): WX4TM
Station: WX4TM

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: AL
Operating Time (hrs): 14.5

   80:   39    57                7     7
   40:  294   457               45    21
   20:  375   793               57    19
   15:   51   118               22    14
   10:
Total:  757  1425      129     131    61  Total Score = 457,425

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

I had originally planned to attempt to put in a full time effort this year
SOABLP. But things came up in additiion to a few thunderstorms that rolled
through and I only managed to get in about 14.5 hrs. At the last minute,
because of the terrible noise on 80 and 40, I decided to go HP and to explore
the "Assisted" category which I'd never done before. Being SO1R, I felt it
would be difficult to get any significant use of the cluster but I was able to
find and get at least a few good multipliers. What disappointed me was the
apparent popular practice by some who spotted good dx multipliers on their own
run freq in an apparent effort to draw S&Pers to them! Am not sure if thats
legal but it darn sure seems unethical! But I also saw lots of spots by others
for stations on freqs who were S&P and not CQ! It almost seemed like there was
a big effort to dilute the cluster with 'spam'.  Of the 14.5 hrs I put in, I
figure about 3 was spent S&P trying to use the "advantage" of the cluster. But
I watched it much more. The jury is still out and maybe I just don't know how
to best use it, but right now I just don't see the reasoning to go "assisted"
again. But it was interesting and I did have lots of fun. And thats what its
all about. Thanks to the CQWW sponsors and volunteers who run the contest and
to all who worked me. 73, de Tom WX4TM